What the Bible Says about the Assurance of Salvation
Some people wonder if they are truly saved – only God can know the heart of man (Jer. 9:9-10; John 2:25). Concern for one’s eternal security can manifest Divine Life within the soul because the unconverted man typically never questions salvation – that’s a supernatural work of God, not a natural work of man. Below is a list of characteristics common in true believers:
1. Believe the Gospel– (1 Cor. 15:3-5) For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve.(2 Cor. 5:21)God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
2. Born Again– (John 3:3-5) Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.” “How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!” Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. (1 Cor. 2:14)The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.
3. Repent of Sin– (Mark 1:14-15)After John was put in prison, Jesus went into Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God. “The time has come,” he said. “The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!”
4. Honest about Your Sin– (1 John 1:8) If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
5. Pray– (Matt. 6:6) But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
6. Good Works– (Eph. 2:10)For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
7. Love the Saints– (1 John 3:14) We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love each other. Anyone who does not love remains in death.
8. Obey God’s Word(1 John 2:3) We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands. (John 14:15) 15[Jesus said] “If you love me, keep my commands.”
9. Seek God’s Approval, Not Man’s– (Gal. 1:10) Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.
10. Attends Church– (Heb. 10:25) not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
11. Love God Not the World– (1 John 2:15) Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them.
12. Generous– (2 Cor. 9:13) Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, others will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosityin sharing with them and with everyone else.
13. Read God’s Word– (1 Pet. 2:1-3) Therefore, putting aside all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander, like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation, if you have tasted the kindness of the Lord.